DO NOT check this box if you are using a public computer. User IDs potentially containing sensitive information will not be saved.
Sign on to Online Banking
Payment Solutions News | Quick Tips
Key Considerations for Expanding into International Markets
Expanding into international markets can be—and has been—an excellent opportunity for many businesses. Part of the secret to success is to make sure the decision is strategically based, and that the potential strengths and challenges of such an undertaking have been carefully assessed. Here are some important areas to consider.
Conduct due diligence to assess whether expansion is right for your company.
- Size the likely opportunity for your product or service in specific countries or regions
- Profile the business environment in your target markets to ascertain the business culture, infrastructure, legal and regulatory environment, language(s) spoken, etc.
- Assess the level of in-country competition
- Research the internationalization efforts of your key competitors in the U.S.
Create an internationalization plan.
- Incorporate a detailed SWOT analysis to identify potential strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats
- Establish a dedicated in-house team with the requisite international experience and expertise to add immediate value to the company’s efforts
- Secure and promote senior executive support for your internationalization expansion
- Create an initial expansion path starting with more familiar markets (e.g., those that are geographically close or share common languages or business practices)
- Evaluate the optimal level of investment to reach different markets, e.g., through exporting, joint venture or other partnerships, or through acquisition of in-market assets
- Determine the desired distribution network for your products and services, e.g., developing a relationship with in-market distributors or by acquiring/building your own distribution assets.
- Establish a multi-year plan, with annual, measureable milestones
Leverage information from key centers of influence.
- Take advantage of the variety of information available from trade promotion organizations (in the U.S. or in overseas markets), industry associations, channel partners, and chambers of commerce
- Reach out to your financial services provider for guidance. Your PNC account management team has extensive experience and expertise in providing solutions for clients’ international payments needs.
Receive each issue of Payment Solutions News in your email inbox.
Talk to your Treasury Management Officer today for valuable insight.
Important Legal Disclosures & Information
This Payments Solution News was prepared for general information purposes and is not intended as legal, tax or accounting advice or as recommendations to engage in any specific transaction, and does not purport to be comprehensive. Under no circumstances should any information contained in this newsletter be used or considered as an offer or commitment, or a solicitation of an offer or commitment, to participate in any particular transaction or strategy. Any reliance upon any such information is solely and exclusively at your own risk. Please consult your own counsel, accountant or other advisor regarding your specific situation. Neither PNC Bank nor any other subsidiary of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (“PNC”) will be responsible for any consequences of reliance upon any opinion or statement contained here, or any omission.
PNC and PINACLE® are registered marks of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Bank deposit, treasury management and lending products and services are provided by PNC Bank, National Association, a wholly owned subsidiary of PNC and Member FDIC.
Lending and leasing products and services, including card services and merchant services, as well as certain other banking products and services, require credit approval.
GET IN TOUCH
Banking on the Go
We have tools to help you bank when and where you want.Mobile Apps Directory »
Be part of our inclusive culture that strives for excellence and rewards talent.Visit PNC Careers »
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. All rights reserved.