Our Philanthropic Efforts
As a Main Street bank, PNC takes pride in being an active member of the communities it serves. Community involvement is at the heart of our civic engagement and an extension of our commitment to look out for the best interests of all of our stakeholders. At the center of PNC’s community involvement is the PNC Foundation. Through the PNC Foundation, PNC works with high-quality community-based nonprofit organizations to understand and address issues that best align with its philanthropic priorities of early childhood education and community and economic development.
PNC Charitable Giving
In 2017, PNC supported its communities through $72 million in charitable giving, including both charitable sponsorships and PNC Foundation grants. Over the next five years, PNC plans to invest $375 million in funding and charitable sponsorships in its communities.
PNC Grow Up Great®
PNC Grow Up Great is the company’s $350 million, multi-year, bilingual initiative in early childhood education. Through a combination of philanthropic partnerships and employee volunteerism, Grow Up Great provides tools and resources that help children from birth through age 5 develop a passion for learning that sets them on a path to future success.
New programs and initiatives implemented in 2017 include:
Among the most pressing needs in early childhood education are supplies and educational experiences to enhance classroom learning. Too many teachers reach into their own pockets to purchase books, art and science materials or to cover the cost of a field trip.
In 2017, the PNC Foundation supported thousands of pre-K and Head Start classroom project requests as part of a new $5 million initiative with DonorsChoose.org, a crowd-funding platform that allows individuals to donate directly to public and private charter school classroom projects. PNC’s initiative was significant in that it allowed DonorsChoose.org to expand its platform to include project requests from teachers in Head Start programs, which promote school readiness and positive development outcomes for young children and their low-income families.
On April 4, a $504,000 donation from PNC funded 865 projects in public and charter pre-K and Head Start classrooms in 22 states and Washington, D.C., markets where PNC has a business presence.
Since then—and with support from PNC’s dollar-for-dollar match offer—more than 6,500 DonorsChoose.org pre-K and Head Start projects, totaling more $3.7 million and benefiting approximately 220,000 children, have been fully funded. Of these projects, more than 1,000 have benefited Head Start classrooms. PNC's matching contributions totaled $1.7 million, while other donors contributed $2.1 million.
Christine Hines-McGee’s classroom was among the beneficiaries of $1.7 million in match funding
from the PNC Foundation’s alliance with DonorsChoose.org.
Children are learning social emotional skills, how to interact with each other, learning how to share, how to be creative and flexible in thinking.
Vocabulary Building Initiative
In 2014, PNC announced a new, multi-city, $10 million initiative designed to encourage families to build their children’s vocabulary and teach the skills required to do this effectively. Results of this initiative were so positive that in 2017, PNC extended the initiative with an additional investment of $3.65 million.
In each city in which the initiative was rolled out, the participating educational and community organizations developed collaborative programs designed to level the educational playing field for participating children. While the methodologies were different, each of the programs increased families’ awareness of building children’s vocabulary through everyday interactions, like talking, singing, reading and playing.
investiment designed to teach the skills required
to help families build thier children's vocabulary
Sally McCrady, PNC Foundation president and chair, helps pre-K students with an art project at the
Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh.
Partnership Spotlight: Message from Me
Supported through PNC Grow Up Great, Message from Me is a web application developed in collaboration with Carnegie Mellon University’s CREATE Lab and Trying Together, an organization that supports early childhood education in Pittsburgh. Message from Me technology enriches children’s early learning experiences by enabling them to record, through audio and photos, their daily classroom activities and send them to registered parents and caregivers. In this way, the app promotes the use of language, fosters creativity and self-expression, and enhances communication between parent and child by connecting families to the child’s classroom in a deep and meaningful way. Message from Me is used by approximately 800 teachers in nearly 200 early childhood education centers across the country.
2017 Giving At-a-Glance
PNC Foundation Grants totaled $48.7 million
PNC Charitable Sponsorships totaled $23.3 million
Giving by Focus
- Education: $26.9 million
- Community Development: $13.4 million
- Culture & Arts: $13.4 million
- Health & Human Services: $11.4 million
- Civic: $6.8 million
in Charitable Gifts
PNC plans to provide
in its communities over the next 5 years
Corporate Awards & Recognition
- World's Most Admired Companies, FORTUNE magazine (2018)
- 100 Most Sustainable Companies, Barron’s (2018)
- J.D. Power 2017 National Bank Satisfaction StudySM (First-Place Ranking)
- Forbes Global 2000, Forbes magazine (2017)
Employer of Choice
- Top 50 Employers, CAREERS & the disABLED magazine (2018)
- Great Workplace Award, Gallup (2017)
- 50 Happiest Companies in America, CareerBliss (2017)
Diversity & Inclusion
- Bloomberg Financial Gender Equality Index (2018)
- Top Financial Companies, Professional Woman’s magazine (2018)
- The Most Powerful Women in Banking, American Banker (2017)
- Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality, Human Rights Campaign (2017)
- Top 50 Companies for Executive Women, National Association for Female Executives (2017)
- America’s 2017 “Best-of-the-Best” Corporations for Inclusion, National Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) (2017)
- 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers, Working Mother magazine (2017)
- Top Diversity Employer 2017, Professional Woman’s magazine (2017)
- Best Places for Women & Diverse Managers to Work, Diversity MBA Magazine's 50 Out Front Companies for Diversity Leadership (2017)
- Best of the Best for Top Disability-Friendly Companies, DIVERSEability magazine (2017)
- Top Corporation for Disability-Owned Businesses, US Business Leadership Network (2017)
Military & Veteran Support
- 2017 Best Corporations for Veterans Business Enterprises, National Veteran Owned Business Association (2017)
- Sponsor of the Year, Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs, Inc. (2017)
- Employee Business Resource Group Exemplar Award, Vibrant Pittsburgh (2017)
- Spotlight Impact Award, PRISM (2017)
- Outstanding Community Reinvestment Act Rating
- Corporate Social Responsibility Leadership Award, Financial Services Roundtable (2017)
- Corporate Citizenship Award, Pittsburgh Business Times (2017)
- Leader in Climate Disclosure, Carbon Disclosure Project (2017)