Technology & Innovation
Customer preferences are rapidly evolving with more and more PNC customers using online, mobile and ATM channels to complete their financial transactions. As ongoing investments in technology are required to meet customers’ needs and remain competitive, PNC continues to focus on innovation and technology across its businesses and in communities where it operates. By driving innovation at a faster pace, we believe that we can fundamentally change the way banking is done. Among other actions, we are focused on:
- Creating an environment that allows for innovation in a secure, controlled manner through open application program interfaces, or APIs, to identify new ways of banking.
- Hosting internal APIFests, which encourage employees to use their creativity to develop new products and services for Retail Banking, Asset Management Group and Corporate & Institutional Banking customers.
- Partnering with FinTechs and other technology companies to learn and implement best practices so that we may improve the customer experience.
2017 Technology and Innovation Highlights
In 2017, and as part of its efforts to make banking easier and safer for its customers, PNC introduced three new digital tools:
- PNC was among the lead banks that developed and implemented Zelle®, a revolutionary service that empowers millions of U.S. consumers with a faster, safer way to send and receive person-to-person payments in real time.
- PNC introduced PNC PaySM, one of the first mobile wallet options offered by a U.S. bank for contactless payments at the point of purchase. By just waving a smartphone at a pay terminal, purchases are instantly paid for without needing to use plastic cards, thus enhancing customers’ security.
- The bank rolled out PNC Express Funds for mobile. Customers who deposit checks remotely from their smart phones are given a choice of standard funds availability for free or immediate access for a nominal fee. This service has proved so popular with customers that Express Funds will be offered at ATMs in 2018.
Also in 2017, we launched numo, a spinoff FinTech incubator that develops financial services technology targeted for use by PNC and potentially commercialized outside the company. numo, a truly unique model in corporate-led innovation that empowers PNC to build FinTech from inside the bank, identifies project opportunities by mining bank employees’ ideas and working with academic researchers and entrepreneurs to develop commercializable technologies.
Innovation Lab (iLab)
PNC’s iLab opened in 2015 to enhance PNC’s ability to design, test, refine and improve the PNC customer experience. The iLab’s primary function is to provide a space where we can choreograph PNC consumer experiences, including technology, process and operations, space design, sales and service scripts, and marketing material. The iLab has been successfully integrated into PNC’s product development culture and has become a place where new products, services and experiences are conceived and refined before launch.
PNC recognizes that to maintain a competitive advantage in the market, it must elevate its customer experiences to be more relevant, responsive and intuitive. Our experience design team ensures that the customer is always the main focus of any new product, solution, service or other banking experience and leverages design thinking as the foundation to approaching any solution.
Corporate Awards & Recognition
- World's Most Admired Companies, FORTUNE magazine (2018)
- 100 Most Sustainable Companies, Barron’s (2018)
- Most Admired for HR, Human Resource Executive magazine (2018)
- J.D. Power 2017 National Bank Satisfaction StudySM (First-Place Ranking)
- Forbes Global 2000, Forbes magazine (2017)
Employer of Choice
- Great Workplace Award for Employee Engagement, Gallup (2017)
- 50 Happiest Companies in America, CareerBliss (2017)
Diversity & Inclusion
- A. Leon Higginbotham Corporate Leadership Award, The Lawyers’ Committee For Civil Rights Under Law (2018)
- 50 Best Companies for Diversity for 2018, BLACK ENTERPRISE (2018)
- Best Companies to Work for Women, WOMEN'S CHOICE AWARD® (2018)
- Best Companies to Work for Multicultural Women, WOMEN'S CHOICE AWARD® (2018)
- Top Financial Companies, Professional Woman’s magazine (2018)
- Top 1000 Company Worldwide for Millennial Women, Mogul (2018)
- 50 Best Places to Work for New Dads, Fatherly (2018)
- Financial Services Gender-Equality Index (BFGEI), Bloomberg (2018)
- Top 50 Employers, CAREERS & the disABLED magazine (2018)
- Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality, Human Rights Campaign (2018)
- 2018 Best-of-the-Best Corporation for Inclusion, National LGBT Chamber of Commerce/National Business Inclusion Consortium (2018)
- Top LGBT Friendly, Black EOE Journal (BEOEJ) (2018)
- Top Employer, Black EOE Journal (BEOEJ) (2018)
- Top Supplier Diversity Programs, Black EOE Journal (BEOEJ) (2018)
- Top Financial/Banking Companies, Hispanic Network magazine (2018)
- Best Places for Women & Diverse Managers to Work, Diversity MBA Magazine's 50 Out Front Companies for Diversity Leadership (2017)
- Top 50 Companies for Executive Women, National Association for Female Executives (2017)
- Top Diversity Employer, Professional Woman's Magazine (2017)
- The Most Powerful Women in Banking, American Banker (2017)
- Best of the Best for Top Disability-Friendly Companies, DIVERSEability magazine (2017)
- 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers, Working Mother magazine (2017)
- Top Corporation for Disability-Owned Businesses, US Business Leadership Network (2017)
- Diversity Leader Award, Diversity Journal (2017)
Military & Veteran Support
- Best of the Best Top Veteran-Friendly Companies, U.S. Veterans Magazine (2018)
- 2017 Best Corporations for Veterans Business Enterprises, National Veteran Owned Business Association (2017)
- Sponsor of the Year, Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs, Inc. (2017)
- Employee Business Resource Group Exemplar Award, Vibrant Pittsburgh (2017)
- Spotlight Impact Award, PRISM (2017)
- Outstanding Community Reinvestment Act Rating
- Corporate Social Responsibility Leadership Award, Financial Services Roundtable (2017)
- Corporate Citizenship Award, Pittsburgh Business Times (2017)
- Leader in Climate Disclosure, Carbon Disclosure Project (2017)