Think it’s impossible to keep your house clean for more than five minutes? Think again. These 10 simple tips make it easier to maintain a tidy home without putting in a ton of effort – so you can actually relax and enjoy your space.
1. Don’t let messes pile up too long.
- Set aside 10–15 minutes to pick up and clean up each day.
- Clean as you go. When you’re done with something, put it away.
- Wipe down countertops often, including a good clean after dinner.
- Sweep and vacuum frequently.
2. Keep cleaning supplies close
- Fill a caddy with your most-used cleaning supplies.
- If you have two floors, keep a caddy on each for easy access.
- Keep an additional one with appropriate cleaners in each bathroom.
3. Pre-organize so you don’t have to reorganize.
- Give everything in your home a designated place and stick to it.
- Make commonly used items easy to access and convenient to put away.
- Group items with similar uses: knives and cutting boards, pens and paper, etc.
4. Make donating a habit.
- Start a donation box and add to it as you go.
- Make sure the whole family uses the donation box.
- Every time you get something new, find something to donate too.
- When the box is full, immediately take it to a local donation center.
5. Organize with a designer’s eye.
- Use decorative shelving that suits both form and function.
- Color code your closet – it looks nice and makes it easier to find an outfit.
- Swap plain containers for baskets that suit your style.
- Use simple clear containers in the kitchen for easy access and a uniform look.
6. Keep your kitchen clean and countertops clear.
- Maximize space by keeping your kitchen surfaces free of clutter.
- Put your mixer, toaster and other small appliances away, but keep them easily accessible.
- Share kitchen duty – start a calendar and assign age-specific tasks to everyone.
7. Check expiration dates.
- Look through your pantry, fridge and freezer on a recurring basis and toss expired items.
- Have a deep freezer? Clean it out once every two months.
- Get rid of leftovers after one week, tops.
8. Get clever about hiding clutter.
- Buy an easy-to-use concealer to hide the cords on your mounted TV.
- Tie all office cords together and funnel them behind your desk.
- Think vertically and use wall space to create extra storage.
- Use decorative storage containers on open shelving for a tidy look.
9. Don’t neglect the bathroom.
- Maximize under-the-sink storage.
- Install hooks or shelves for extra towels.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet regularly.
- Do a 60-second pickup before you leave the room.
10. Utilize space under the bed.
- Use large plastic containers with lids to store books, magazines, etc.
- Store seasonal items, blankets and pillows in vacuum sealed storage bags.
- When you clean your floors, don’t forget to clean under the beds.
While this might seem like a lot of work at once, take a few minutes to try out a few of these tips today. Then work to keep the momentum going and see how just a few new habits can help keep your home tidy and clean.
Important Legal Disclosures and Information
PNC is a registered service mark of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (“PNC”). All loans are provided by PNC Bank, National Association, a subsidiary of PNC, and are subject to credit approval and property appraisal.
©2021 The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. All rights reserved. PNC Bank, National Association.
Read a summary of privacy rights for California residents which outlines the types of information we collect, and how and why we use that information.