Personal Small Business Corporate & Institutional About Us
If you’re looking to increase revenue, you might consider offering nonmedical services, including grooming and pet sitting. While this can be a great source of funds, here are some questions to review before you move ahead.
1. Are you properly zoned? Be sure to double-check your zoning, says Terence O’Neil, CPA, CVA, a partner at Katz, Sapper & Miller. “A lot of hospitals aren’t permitted to have doggy day care outside,” O’Neil explains. Find out early on whether you can do this.
2. Do you have the space? Be sure you’ve considered the additional room you may need. With kenneling and day care, issues with aggressive animals might come up, so you would need space to separate animals.
3. Have you projected the costs? O’Neil, who has overseen many service expansions, says, “It’s so important to make sure that the return is worth the risk.” This is particularly true if you are going to make changes you can’t undo, such as relocating or expanding.
4. Are you willing to manage the additional staff? Services like grooming and day care are among the most challenging to manage, O’Neil explains. “Managing a kennel is very challenging, too,” he adds. You need to hire staff to clean cages, and these employees are often difficult to retain. So you might end up hiring and training new workers repeatedly.
5. Do you have the insurance? Meet with your insurance advisor. “The likelihood of a dog fight is a lot higher in doggy day care than it would be with two dogs just walking down the hall getting treatments,” O’Neil says. Be sure you’re covered for any eventuality.
While it pays to be thoughtful about this step, if you are well positioned to make this change to your practice, there are many financial reasons to do so. “Often, people will discover a need for medical treatment at the groomer,” O’Neil says. The crossover of clients can be extremely beneficial. “One of my good friends down in North Carolina has zoning to have a doggy day care outside, and he’s right on the corner of a busy intersection,” O’Neil says. “People just love seeing the dogs out playing there. He always says, ‘I couldn’t buy better marketing.’”
Start Your Cash Flow Conversation
Give us a call at 1-855-762-2365 or fill out our simple form and a PNC Business Banking representative will get in touch with you.
Request a Contact »
Business Insights for Veterinary Professionals are prepared for general information purposes only by Manifest LLC and are not intended as legal, tax or accounting advice or as recommendations to engage in any specific transaction, including with respect to any securities of PNC, and do not purport to be comprehensive. Under no circumstances should any information contained in the articles be used or considered as an offer or a commitment, or a solicitation of an offer or a commitment, to participate in any particular transaction or strategy. Any reliance upon any such information is solely and exclusively at your own risk. Please consult your own counsel, accountant or other advisor regarding your specific situation.
Neither PNC Bank nor any other subsidiary of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. will be responsible for any consequences of reliance upon any opinion or statement contained here, or any omission. The opinions expressed in these articles are not necessarily the opinions of PNC Bank or any of its affiliates, directors, officers or employees.
Lending and leasing products and services, including card services and merchant services, as well as certain other banking products and services, may require credit approval.
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. (“PNC”) uses the marketing name PNC Wealth Management® to provide investment and wealth management, fiduciary services, FDIC-insured banking products and services, and lending of funds through its subsidiary, PNC Bank, National Association (“PNC Bank”), which is a Member FDIC, and to provide specific fiduciary and agency services through its subsidiary, PNC Delaware Trust Company or PNC Ohio Trust Company. Securities products, brokerage services, and managed account advisory services are offered by PNC Investments LLC, a registered brokerdealer and a registered investment adviser and member of FINRA and SIPC. Insurance products may be provided through PNC Insurance Services, LLC, a licensed insurance agency affiliate of PNC, or through licensed insurance agencies that are not affiliated with PNC; in either case a licensed insurance affiliate may receive compensation if you choose to purchase insurance through these programs. A decision to purchase insurance will not affect the cost or availability of other products or services from PNC or its affiliates. PNC does not provide legal, tax, or accounting advice unless, with respect to tax advice, PNC Bank has entered into a written tax services agreement. PNC does not provide services in any jurisdiction in which it is not authorized to conduct business. PNC Bank is not registered as a municipal advisor under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act (“Act”).
“PNC Wealth Management” and “PNC Wealth Insight” are registered service marks of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.
Investments: Not FDIC Insured. No Bank Guarantee. May Lose Value.
Insurance: Not FDIC Insured. No Bank or Federal Government Guarantee. Not a Deposit. May Lose Value. Bank deposit, treasury management and lending products and services, and investment and wealth management and fiduciary services, are provided by PNC Bank, National Association. Member FDIC.
Banking products and services and bank deposit products are provided by PNC Bank, National Association (N.A.), a wholly-owned subsidiary of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. and Member FDIC.
Read a summary of privacy rights for California residents which outlines the types of information we collect, and how and why we use that information.
We have tools to help you bank when and where you want.Mobile Apps Directory »
Be part of our inclusive culture that strives for excellence and rewards talent.Visit PNC Careers »
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. All rights reserved.