So, what does it mean to be in the Sandwich Generation?
- 63% of the Sandwich Generation is able to save for retirement, compared to the national average of 71%
- Only 1 in 5 GenXers has planned for handling an elder family member's finances
- 32% of GenXers expect to be caring for elderly family members in the next 5-10 years
- GenXers in the Sandwich Generation with a financial plan feel less stressed about finances (24%) than those without a plan (61%)
- Almost 80% of adults aged 50+ would like to stay in their homes and communities as they age
- 22.7% of caregivers spend 20 or more hours per week caring for an elderly family member
- $85,775 is the average annual cost for a semi-private room in a nursing home. The average annual cost for a private room is $97,455.