PNC Announces $1 Million To Boost Economic Development and Preschool Education in Eastern Carolina
The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. announced a $1 million initiative in grants to eight organizations and other funding in Eastern Carolina to boost economic development, early childhood education and celebrate the region's history.
Raleigh: Schools, Ballet and Museum
The grants in Raleigh will introduce Grow Up Great, PNC's signature $350 million, multi-year bilingual initiative to improve early childhood education. PNC's initiative brings together Carolina Ballet, North Carolina Museum of Art and Wake County Public Schools to create an innovative arts collaborative for the region's youngest students. The two-year initiative in Raleigh will:
- Create new programs in preschool teacher training and arts activities, including dance and movement, that will reach more children in the metropolitan area.
- Afford preschool students and their families several opportunities to visit the cultural institutions throughout the year.
- Place artists in preschool classrooms where they are able to teach and share their passion for the arts.
Rocky Mount: Economic Development, PNC Legacy Project
PNC's efforts focus on economic development, workforce training, early childhood education and a new exhibit to honor the bank's local history. Grant recipients include:
- City of Rocky Mount to fund a market feasibility study for a potential downtown events center.
- Nash Community College (NCC) to fund a "Workplace Skill-Up" program which offers displaced or unemployed workers in the area an opportunity to develop career readiness and workplace skills. NCC also will offer an "Introduction to the Financial Services Industry" course to teach specific skills for PNC positions in the area.
- Turning Point Workforce Development Board, in collaboration with Edgecombe Community College (ECC) and NCC, to create a "Workforce Simulation Lab", a facility that will simulate workplace settings to teach employer-preferred skill sets for low-income and hard-to-employ citizens in the area.
- The Down East Partnership for Children will introduce PNC Grow Up Great through a grant to improve its public park and playground. The project, "PNC Grow Up Great at the Discovery Park" will feature a natural, outdoor-learning environment for children.
- The PNC Legacy Project will honor, document and preserve the history of predecessor banks, the employees who guided them and the communities they served. The project will go on display at Rocky Mount's Imperial Centre for the Arts and Sciences in late 2012.