In order to avoid overdraft fees, you must bring the available balance in your account to at least $0 before your Extra Time expires. If you make a deposit, the time it takes for your deposit to be reflected in your available balance and for those funds to become available to you will vary based on the deposit type and time. Depending on your deposit type or your deposit time, your deposit may not be available before your Extra Time period expires, and you may incur overdraft fees. See your Funds Availability policy for more information. Overdrawing an account, maintaining a negative available balance for any period of time, and returning transactions as unpaid may have other consequences, including account closure or negative impacts to your ability to obtain financial services including loans, deposit accounts, and other services at PNC and other institutions.
Low Cash Mode®
Everyone can have a low cash moment. We're here to help when you do.
Low Cash Mode is available for all Virtual Wallet products.
Say Goodbye to Surprise Overdraft Fees
We believe how you handle overdrafts should be in your control, not just your bank's.
Many banks will charge you multiple overdraft fees a day. Others may promise no overdraft fees but will return all items leaving you with unpaid bills. Low Cash Mode gives you more control when your balance is low.
Wouldn't it be great if you could make payment decisions about your account?
- $0 non-sufficient funds fee
- Maximum one $36 overdraft item fee per day
- Customized alerts when your balance is low
- 24 hours minimum Extra Time to bring your balance to at least zero
Built on patents-pending technology, Low Cash Mode comes with PNC’s industry-leading Virtual Wallet® and is available through the PNC mobile app.[2,3]
Account Transparency & Control
Manage your Spend account when your balance is low. With Low Cash Mode, you can use Intelligent Alerts, Extra Time and Payment Control to help you avoid overdraft fees.
A suite of alerts so you know when to take action.
- Set up the method for receiving alerts - email, text or push notifications.
- Set the balance threshold of your Spend account for receiving alerts.
- Get alerts when Low Cash Mode is on and when you have new transactions eligible for Payment Control.
- Know how much Extra Time you have left to bring your available balance to at least $0.
You'll have extra time to fund your account when your available balance is negative before you're charged overdraft item fees.
- You’ll have at least 24 hours to bring your available Spend account balance to at least $0 before you are charged overdraft fees.
- The Extra Time clock will show you how much time you have left to bring your available balance to at least $0.
- Set up Extra Time alerts to let you know how much time you have left, even if you’re not in the app.
- You won't be charged overdraft item fees if you bring your available balance to at least $0 before Extra Time expires.
You can choose to pay or return certain individual checks, and payments made using your routing and checking account numbers (ACH transactions), when your balance is negative.
- We’ll let you know which transactions are eligible for you to review and decision in Payment Control.
- From the list of eligible transactions, you will see the projected Pay / Return status of each and you will have ability to adjust as needed.
- You may be able to limit how negative your account will become if you are in an overdraft situation.
- Intelligent Alerts
- Extra Time
- Payment Control
Easy to Use
Watch these videos to learn how to use Low Cash Mode.
Low Cash Mode Dashboard
Intelligent Alerts & Extra Time
Experience PNC Low Cash Mode
To get started, apply for Virtual Wallet, download the PNC Mobile app and explore the in-app tutorial.
Ready to get started?
Already have a Virtual Wallet?
Low Cash Mode is only available on the Spend account of your Virtual Wallet product.
PNC does not charge a fee for Mobile Banking. However, third party message and data rates may apply. These include fees your wireless carrier may charge you for data usage and text messaging services. Check with your wireless carrier for details regarding your specific wireless plan and any data usage or text messaging charges that may apply. Also, a supported mobile device is needed to use the Mobile Banking App. Mobile Deposit is a feature of PNC Mobile Banking. Use of the Mobile Deposit feature requires a supported camera-equipped device and you must download a PNC mobile banking app. Eligible PNC Bank account and PNC Bank Online Banking required. Certain other restrictions apply. See the mobile banking terms and conditions in the PNC Online Banking Service Agreement.
Debit card transactions do not qualify for Payment Control. When you choose to return an item that has been presented to PNC for payment, we will return the item to the payee’s bank for insufficient funds, and the payee will not receive payment from PNC. You may still have an obligation to pay the payee for goods, services or other products. PNC is not responsible for satisfying any obligations between you and the payee or any other party with respect to an item you decide to return. Before choosing to return an item, you should consider rules the payee may have or actions the payee may take on late/returned payments. Overdrawing an account, maintaining a negative available balance for any period of time, and returning transactions as unpaid may have other consequences, including account closure or negative impacts to your ability to obtain financial services including loans, deposit accounts, and other services at PNC and other institutions.
PNC will honor decisions to pay items at our discretion and does not guarantee that all items will be paid.
PNC Alerts are free to customers. However, third party message and data rates may apply. These include fees your wireless carrier may charge you for data usage and text messaging services. Check with your wireless carrier for details regarding your specific wireless plan and any data usage or text messaging charges that may apply.
Low Cash Mode is a registered mark of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.
Virtual Wallet is a registered mark of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.
Apple, Apple Watch, iCloud, Mac, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPhone, Face ID, Touch ID and Apple Pay are trademarks of Apple Inc. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Google Pay and Google Play™ and Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.