PNC Investments Offers a Number of Plans to Help Save for College
Why Education Accounts?
Rising tuition costs can make it difficult for even the most diligent of savers to cover 100 percent of a child’s education expenses. That’s why it’s important to plan for educational needs as early as possible. PNC Investments can help guide you with an investment approach aligned with your situation and goals.
Stay up-to-date with ideas and strategies from PNC for your investments and retirement.
A 529 plan is a tax-advantaged investment vehicle (typically sponsored by states or state agencies) designed to encourage saving for the future education expenses of the plan’s beneficiary. They can be used to pay for qualified education expenses at most accredited colleges and universities, as well as tuition expenses at both public and private elementary and secondary schools (K-12).
- Investments accumulate tax-deferred
- Qualified withdrawals are not subject to federal (and some state) income taxes
- You can change the plan’s beneficiary at any time
- Substantial maximum contributions are permitted (over $300,000 per beneficiary in many state plans) and, generally, there are no income limitations or age restrictions
Custodial Accounts (UTMA)
A custodial account under the Uniform Transfers to Minor Act (UTMA) allows you to save for your child or grandchild's future higher education needs.
- Anyone can open an account; no restrictions or qualifications to be met
- Allows for unlimited contributions and unlimited contribution amounts
- You control all investment decisions
- Beneficiary gains control of the funds when he/she reaches a certain age
The following information may be provided by PNC Investments affiliates, including PNC Bank, PNC Private Bank℠ or PNC Institutional Asset Management®:
1. There is an annual cap of $10,000 when using a 529 plan to pay for K-12 tuition. No such cap exists for qualified college expenses.
This material is meant to educate and not to provide legal, tax, accounting or investment advice. PNC Investments and its affiliates and vendors do not provide legal, tax or accounting advice.
Important Investor Information:
Brokerage and insurance products are:
Not FDIC Insured. Not Bank Guaranteed. Not A Deposit. Not Insured By Any Federal Government Agency. May Lose Value
Securities products and brokerage services as well as managed account advisory services are offered by PNC Investments LLC, a registered broker-dealer and a registered investment adviser and Member FINRA and SIPC. Annuities and other insurance products are offered through PNC Insurance Services, LLC, a licensed insurance agency (CA License #0B57695).
PNC Investments and PNC Insurance Services do not provide legal, tax, or accounting advice.
This document provides information on additional compensation that PNC Investments receives from certain mutual fund companies, 529 plan program managers and insurance companies.
This material does not constitute an offer or solicitation in any jurisdiction where or to any person to whom it would be unauthorized or unlawful to do so.
PNC Investments does not guarantee the performance of any investment. Investing results may vary. Investments may lose money. Diversification and asset allocation may not prevent a loss of investment.
PNC Investments LLC, PNC Insurance Services, LLC and PNC Bank, National Association are each affiliated with The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.
Bank deposit products and services provided by PNC Bank, National Association. Member FDIC.