PNC does not charge a fee for Mobile Banking, including PNC Alerts. However, third party message and data rates may apply. Check with your wireless carrier for details.
Virtual Wallet Student®
Open an Account at a PNC Bank Branch or Online
Named Best Overall
Best Banks for Students
— Money Magazine, 2021, 2022 & 2023
Say Goodbye to Surprise Overdraft Fees
Introducing Low Cash Mode® in the PNC Mobile App[1,2]
Many banks will charge you multiple overdraft fees a day. Others may promise no overdraft fees but will return all items leaving you with unpaid bills. Low Cash Mode gives you more control when your balance is low.
Built on patents-pending technology, Virtual Wallet’s digital tools now include Low Cash Mode, a new, game-changing tech that helps you avoid overdraft fees and take control when your balance gets low or negative.
- Extra Time will show you how much time you have left – which will be at least 24 hours – to bring your available Spend account balance to at least zero before you are charged overdraft fees.
- Payment Control gives you the option to choose to pay or return certain individual checks, and payments made using your routing and checking account numbers (ACH transactions), when the available balance in your Spend account is negative.
- Intelligent Alerts notify you when your Spend account balance drops below your threshold so that you can take action.
A Checking and Savings Account Made for Student Life
A digital banking experience to keep your money organized while you're in school.
What You Get
- Spend: primary checking account
- Reserve: short-term planning
- Growth: long-term savings account
What You Need to Know
At the end of the six years, your Virtual Wallet Student account will convert to Virtual Wallet and be subject to the Virtual Wallet Features and Fees in effect at that time.
If you transfer this account to a different product or account type during the first six years, you will forfeit the benefits of the Virtual Wallet Student account and will not be able to transfer back to the Virtual Wallet Student account. You may be asked to provide proof of active enrollment in a qualifying educational institution.
Virtual Wallet Student Benefits
Open a new Virtual Wallet Student and get certain benefits for up to six years, including:
- No monthly service charge. You may be asked to provide proof of active enrollment in a qualifying educational institution.
- One automatic courtesy refund of any Overdraft Item fees associated with the first overdraft event on your Spend account.
- One incoming domestic or international wire transfer per statement period at no charge.
- Automatic enrollment for online statements and documents the first time you sign on to PNC Online Banking, and the option to choose paper statements at no charge.
Plus, still receive benefits standard to Virtual Wallet, like:
- A PNC Bank Visa® Debit Card.
- Mobile and Online Banking to manage your money how and when you want.
- Reimbursement of the fee for the first two domestic or international non-PNC Bank ATM transactions made on your Spend, Reserve or Growth accounts per statement period.
- $5.00 reimbursement of other financial institutions’ ATM surcharge fee per statement period.
- International Services including language interpretation.
Open an Account at a PNC Bank Branch or Online
Manage Your Money Online & On Your Mobile Device
Digital tools that help you see what's free to spend, stay on track with your budget & reach your financial goals.
Budget & spend wisely
- Money Bar®
- Spending & Budgets
Know your balance is low
- Low Cash Mode®
- Danger DaySM
Stick to your plan
- Savings Rules
- Savings Goals
We Have Even More for Students
The Student Banking Hub can help students and famillies
bank – from college prep to career.
Ready to Get Started or Have Questions? We're Here to Help.
Does PNC have a partnership with your school?
Take advantage of all the benefits a PNC school relationship may offer. Learn more about our school partnerships.
Low Cash Mode is only available on the Spend account of your Virtual Wallet product.
Overdrawing an account, maintaining a negative available balance for any period of time, and returning transactions as unpaid may have other consequences, including account closure or negative impacts to your ability to obtain financial services including loans, deposit accounts, and other services at PNC and other institutions.
The time it takes for your deposited funds to become available depends on your deposit type and time. Your funds may not become available before your Extra Time expires, and you may incur overdraft fees. See your Funds Availability policy for more information.
Debit card transactions do not qualify for Payment Control. When you choose to return an item that has been presented to PNC for payment, we will return the item to the payee’s bank for insufficient funds, and the payee will not receive payment from PNC. You may still have an obligation to pay the payee for goods, services or other products. PNC is not responsible for satisfying any obligations between you and the payee or any other party with respect to an item you decide to return. Before choosing to return an item, you should consider rules the payee may have or actions the payee may take on late/returned payments. Overdrawing an account, maintaining a negative available balance for any period of time, and returning transactions as unpaid may have other consequences, including account closure or negative impacts to your ability to obtain financial services including loans, deposit accounts, and other services at PNC and other institutions.
The automatic courtesy refund is not available on your Reserve or Growth accounts. Although the fee may be refunded, the transaction will be considered an overdraft occurrence. You will be responsible for paying the overdraft balance.
In the event PNC determines that there has been fraudulent or excessive ATM usage on the account, PNC is not obligated to reimburse any related surcharge fees, and any related reimbursements must be repaid. Surcharge fees not identified within the transaction by the originating financial institution may not be reimbursed. Any fee reimbursements occur at the end of the statement period.
Zelle and the Zelle related marks are wholly owned by Early Warning Services, LLC and are used herein under license.
Low Cash Mode is a registered mark of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.
Visa® is a registered trademark of Visa International Service Association and used under license.
Virtual Wallet is a registered mark of The PNC Financial Services Group, Inc.
PNC has numerous patents/pending patent applications directed at various features and functions of Virtual Wallet.
Read a summary of privacy rights for California residents which outlines the types of information we collect, and how and why we use that information.